- 1lb frozen meatballs
- 1 yellow oniondiced (one cup)
- 1/2pound carrotspeeled and thinly sliced (about 4 carrots)
- 1head escarolethinly sliced
- 1tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1teaspoon onion powder
- 1teaspoon garlic salt
- 1teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 8teaspoons chicken bullion granules
- 8cups water (not needed until day of cooking)
- 1/2cup dry uncooked pasta (not needed until day of cooking)I use acini de pepe, ditallini, or small shells
To Freeze and Cook Later
- Label your freezer bag with the name of the recipe, cooking instructions, and “use-by” date.
- Add all ingredients except water and pasta to your freezer bag.
- Remove as much air as possible, seal, and freeze.
- Thaw freezer bag overnight in refrigerator or in water in the morning.
- Pour contents of freezer bag into your crockpot and add water.
- Cook on "low" setting for 6-8 hours or until carrots are soft.
- Add pasta and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
Would this follow the same recommendations on the Instant Pot cheat sheet for beef? Thanks! 🙂
If the meatballs are pre-cooked, you’ll probably only need 15 minutes.
Very good soup! Unless you can make or find a source for teeny-tiny meatballs, use more than 1 lb. We had more soup left over after meatballs were all gone. Added some chopped ham to stretch it, which was fine, but not really wedding soup. We used kale and collards instead of escarole because we didn’t have that on hand.
Where to buy good frozen meatballs… I don’t really care for Costcos:)
I like the ones from our local grocery store chain, Giant Eagle.
I’m not sure where you are near, but in New England they have Bove’s meatballs (made in VT). SO yummy and no junk in them.
Walmart brand are good tasting ( Costco’s bother some in my family as well)
I buy the Earth’s Best brand mini meatballs at Wegmans and they are PERFECT for this.
QUESTION: can I substitute chicken broth instead of the granules? that is my intention. I like to buy organic chicken broth… CAN’T WAIT TO MAKE THIS!
That is what I do. Just use 8 cups broth, or 2 cartons 😊
So if you use the broth, do you pour all 8 cups into the freezer bags with the rest of the ingredients?
It probably won’t fit. I would wait to add it the day of cooking.
Newbie here, best frozen mini meatballs to use? TIA
If you want to make meatballs, my family loves the Italian Meatballs recipe on this site! They’re delicious!
This one is delicious. Thumbs up.
What is a good substitute for Worcestershire sauce? We do not use Worcestershire. I have researched and found Balsamic Vinegar, or soy sauce. What would the quantity be?
Can I make this just in a large pot 9n the stovetop?
I don’t see why not. I’ve made the Garden vegetable soup. Froze then day of I thawed and put in soup pot. Did the same with the Orange ginger Chicken.
The freezer label says 6 hours in a 6qt crockpot- which setting, high or low? Thanks! So excited to make this!
I made this for the first time, unfortunately, I found it to be really salty. I will try again using less of the garlic salt.. Maybe just garlic powder instead of garlic salt
possible excess salty taste could be the bullion cubes. you can try to use chicken broth with low salt instead.
This was frankly uninteresting. Bland. too much water, not thick enough. Will not make again.
This is the 3 meal of the freezer recipes we’ve tried and have been a great success so far, my husband and my 5 year old stepson loved the soup and said the freezer meals have been ‘fantastic’!!! YAY!!