- 1lb boneless skinless chicken breastsfat trimmed
- 1/4lb carrotspeeled and diced (about 2 carrots)
- 2ribs celerydiced (one cup)
- 1 yellow oniondiced (one cup)
- 1/4cup dry uncooked white rice
- 1/2 lemon (for juice)you can use the remaining half for garnish or use in another recipe
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon pepper
- 1/2teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2teaspoon dill
- 32oz chicken broth (not needed until day of cooking)4 cups
To Freeze and Cook Later
- Label your freezer bag with the name of the recipe, cooking instructions, and “use-by” date.
- Add all ingredients except broth to your freezer bag.
- Remove as much air as possible, seal, and freeze.
- Thaw freezer bag overnight in refrigerator or in water in the morning.
- Pour contents of freezer bag into your crockpot and add broth.
- Cook on "low" setting for 6-8 hours or until carrots and onions are tender.
- Shred chicken.
- Garnish with lemon slices.
My soup didn’t turn out very soupy… The rice made it almost glue-like. I’ll probably make the rice separate if I do this one again. Unless there is better advice? I might cut the dill and salt a bit too.
Did you use the exact same type of rice as me?
Kelly, what brand rice did you use?
Excellent soup! My son, who was very sick last week and lost his sense of smell (tested negative for Covid), said in the afternoon “man, what are you making for dinner, it smells so good”. My immediate reply was “soup”. But then we both realized he could smell and were so excited we started celebrating. This soup tasted as good as it made the house smell. So yummy and delicious.
Also, I have NEVER added white rice directly into any soup in the crock pot before. My concern was it would be too soft or mushy or make the soup too starchy. But this was not the case with this recipe. It was the perfect balance and tasted incredible. Thank goodness because the last thing I needed was to disappoint a sick kid.
Two thumbs up on this recipe.
Do you have IP directions? I like to have both options. Thx!
Where do i find the labels?
this is a perfect recipe!!!
This is seriously good. The seasoning is perfect.
Can I sub brown or wild rice?
Can i use lemon juice instead of lemon
Would love to alternate directions for Instant pot included with recipes…
Would love to have alternate directions for Instant pot included with recipes…
This soup is delicious -except if used to have lemon juice as part of it – half a lemon juiced for 6 servings. Not sure why it’s no longer included. Also, I can’t figure out where the labels are to print them.
I made this soup tonight in the IP. It was thawed out during the day. Cooked it for 18 mins. at high pressure with a manual release, which I don’t normally do, but I was worried about the rice disintegrating. The spit and spurt, as it was releasing pressure, required a major wipe down of all the surfaces afterwards. HOWEVER, the taste was fantastic. The chicken breasts were just starting to come apart. The rice sort of dissolved within the soup, which I didn’t mind. I used the white basmati which we had on hand from Costco. The broth paste was ‘Better than Bouillon” vegetable stock.
I would definitely make this again in the IP, but set the timer maybe for 12 minutes instead.
I would love IP instructions for this soup!
The taste of this soup was good. I will however not add the rice until the day of as it was way over done and mushy. I used the white rice as indicated but I like the texture much more firm.
I will make this again adding the rice later in the process.